Three Provinces Trail
Three Provinces Trail - Karoo Cycling at its best from Philippolis via Gariep to Colesberg or Bethulie.
- Day 1. - This trail kicks off in the quaint dorp of Philippolis where cyclists spend their first night at one or more of the local guesthouses.
- Day 2. - Cyclists set off on the 55km dirt road heading south out of town, eventually crossing the N1 near to Gariep Village. GKC uses a number of guesthouses in or near to Gariep, which allows considerable flexibility in planning the next day’s route. One of our most popular venues is Orange Valley Farm.
- Day 3. - This when the options kick in! Cyclists can elect the route through the Oviston Reserve, about 52km, eventually exiting near Gelykfontein Stud farm. This is the home of Morning Glory Cottages, their venue for the third night.
- Another option: From Orange Valley take the road leading into Gariep Reserve (Free State side of the dam). This is a delightful ride past numerous herds of antelope, eventually looping back at the eastern most corner of the reserve and cycling back along the dam’s edge.
- A further option: Cycle into the Gariep Reserve, as above, but exit onto the tar road leading to Bethulie. Cyclists can then choose to do the History tour of the town and its surrounds on nights 4 and 5.
- Day 4. - If following the Oviston route, you will eventually emerge from the reserve near Gelykfontein farm. In this case your 4th night would be spent at Morning Glory Cottages.
- Day 5. - This is your final day of cycling and your group can either elect to finish at Karoo Nights (only 34km from Morning Glory) or head on to Colesberg, staying at the Karoo Lighthouse.
- Day 6. - Cyclists will be taken back to the vehicles parked in Philippolis, ready to resume the homeward journey.