Great Karoo Cycling - Cyclist Information
- Mountain bike fitted with sealant-filled tubeless tyres; alternatively ensure tubes are filled with sealant (eg, "green slime") and flat-fighters to minimise punctures. Don't compromise your bike saddle - otherwise a sore bum will ruin your adventure. Check out the proven Rido saddles, or visit your local bike shop for suggestions.
- Water bottle or Camel-back, cycling helmet preferably with sun visor attached, pump, "bombs" for punctures, cycling back pack with wind cheater, sun block, sun glasses, swimming costume, cell phone, camera, etc. Don't forget lubricants for bum and bikes!
- Mountain bikes available for hire - make an enquiry.
Great Karoo Cycling offers a host of other activities after the day's riding is done:
- Cooking classes on both the Gariep (Marene van der Walt) and Fish River (Anne Bowker) trails. All the guesthouses offer their own delightful Karoo Specialities.
- Mike Ferrar is well versed in the paleontological history of the Karoo and Anglo-Boer war sites in the area. He can also captivate an audience with descriptions of the predator problems in sheep farming and the measures being used to control the problem.
- On the Gariep trail take a tour of the famous Gariep Dam wall, cycle through the Oviston and Gariep Nature Reserves.
- Visit Bethulie's Boer War Concentration Camp site with Royal Hotel owner and guide Anthony Hocking. Cycle the Louw Wepener trail near Bethulie.
- Be enchanted with live piano recitals by well-known concert pianist, Benjamin Fourie, followed by star-gazing excursions with a professional astronomer.
- On the Sneeuberg trail visit Nieu Bethesda's quirky Owl House and art galleries, enjoy the locally brewed beers.
- In Graaff-Reinet go on the historical tour of the town's numerous points of interest and the Valley of Desolation with David McNaughton. Stay and enjoy dinner at the iconic, newly re-opened, 5-star Drostdy Hotel.
- On the Fish River trail stay at the renowned Tuishuise & Victoria Manor, go on a guided tour of the Olive Schreiner Museum and the township sites associated with "The Cradock Four". Take a guided vehicular tour of the nearby Mountain Zebra Park.