Revel in the Karoo - on a bicycle!
Great Karoo Cycling trails (GKC) are the consequence of years of cycling the undiscovered and abundant dirt roads and jeep tracks meandering through the timeless panorama of the Cape Midlands area of the Karoo. Ride past and stay at celebrated farms en route. Mountain biking is the fastest growing sporting and leisure activity in the country. Great Karoo Cycling is offering secure and safe mountain biking trails on back roads with little vehicular traffic and no crowded venues. Cyclists are accompanied only by tranquil merinos grazing in the veld, quizzical meerkats, nimble springbok, blue cranes screeching and spurwing geese honking overhead as they pass by solemn, secretive ironstone koppies! Early risers will hear a prolific dawn chorus of Karoo endemics!
What to Expect
GKC, in collaboration with established Karoo Hospitality and Breakaway venues, offers you leisure cycling at its most affordable.
Our Karoo Cycling Trails
GKC offers six different trails to various towns in the Karoo. These are:
- Sneeuberg Cycling Trail – from Middelburg EC via Nieu Bethesda to Graaff-Reinet.
- Fish River Cycling Trail – from Mt Melsetter along the Fish river, stopping off at Lowlands Country House near Fish River Station, then on to Cradock.
- Gariep Cycling Trail – from Colesberg to the Gariep Dam cycling through two nature serves on the southern and northern sides of the dam.
- Zuurberg Cycling Trail – from Cradock to Addo Elephant Park via Somerset East.
- Oorlogspoort Cycling Trail – from Gariep Dam via Hanglip to Mt Melsetter. This is a relatively flat route which can be negotiated over 3 or 4 days.
- Mt Melsetter – the hub of many of our cycling trails, offering a number of different out and back trails of varying lengths.
- All our trails are very user-friendly – choose your daily distance and simply jump on and off the trailing vehicle!
Video by Dave Marsh