Oorlogspoort trail, the "pro trail", cycling approx 90km/day, starting in Colesberg and overnighting at, or by-passing, Hanglip Farm (32km away), or cycling on to Rooipoort Farm (a further 57km from Hanglip. The district road continues to Mt Melsetter (another 52km on). The trail can be extended onto the Fish River route and on to Cradock on days two, three or four.
Day 1 of Cycling
- On the northern side of Colesberg, follow signs to Norvalspont road (due east, tar) and about 2km out of town take the dirt road to the right marked Steynsburg.
- The first couple of kms of this road are badly corrugated but it soon flattens out. Exactly 11.8km from the start of the dirt road you will come to a fork marked Steysnburg to the left and Hantam Community Education Trust to the right. Take the right fork.
- The road meanders on a gentle downhill incline for about 28km and then flattens out. After 32km you arrive at the farm Hanglip immediately on your left. Turn in for breakfast (hosts: Maeder and Lesley Osler).
- Exactly 37.8km from the start of the dirt you will arrive at the Hantam Community Education Trust. Pull in for a quick tour with Lesley. Continuing on your ride, you will see the turn out to the well-known horse stud Grootfontein (38.2km from start). Simply continue on your ride.
- After 39.8km you will come across a fork - continue to the right, marked Oorlogspoort.
- After 45.5km pass the turn-out to Weltevreden Cottage, then pass the farm Fonteintje. At the 53km mark you will ride past the turn-out to the farm Platberg. If in need of a break, turn in and rest on the lawn - perhaps you might get a cup of tea!
- At the 63.5km mark after the start you will encounter a T-junction, to the left marked Schoombee and to the right Oorlogspoort farm. Take the right hand turn to Oorlogspoort (the farm house is immediately on your right) and continue through the bend for nearly 3km passing the Grapevale turn out to your right.
- Continue for another 9km, passing the Hantam Tennis Club on your right, until your reach the Rooipoort sign on your left. Turn in at this entrance and cycle the last 3 or 4km up a moderate incline to your guesthouse destination for the night. Nicky and Piet Davel are your hosts at Rooipoort.
Day 2 or 3 of Cycling
- Depart Rooipoort after a leisurely breakfast back to the farm entrance, turning right towards the Hantam Tennis Club, passing the entrance to Grapevale and Oorlogspoort (indeed, retracing your route to this point).
- Turn right on the road marked Schoombee/Macasserfontein. After 10.5km from the Oorlogspoort T-junction you will pass the turn-out to Macasserfontein farm on your right. Continue along this route until you pass an earth dam on your right (18.3km), spotting the iconic koppies of Teebus and Koffiebus in the distance off to your left.
- After 22.9km you will ride past the farm owned by Dirkie van der Walt and at the 27.5km mark you will come across a fork. To the right is marked Middelburg, continue on the left towards Schoombee.
- Soon after you will ride over a small hill and at the 32.5km mark you will pass the farm Skoongesig (Barbara van Zyl). At the 36.4km mark you will cross a low-level bridge over the Great Brak River.
- Continue another 3.5 km passing the Hillston turn-in on your left.
- Continue on the road heading due south to Mt Melsetter. At the T-junction with the R56 tar road, turn right for 2km to the sign on the right into Mt Melsetter.